- I think that together with the team we had a very good preparation for the Giro d'Italia. In the off-season we held two very high-quality training camps. In addition, before the start of the season, the team organized a perfect training camp in Colombia at the altitude, where we had a great workout before the first race Tour Colombia 2.1. Then we returned to Europe, where I took part in Paris-Nice and Volta a Catalunya. Yes, this year I didn't have a lot of races, but, I could have done a lot of work, besides, I managed to achieve some good results. Astana has a very strong team at the Giro, we are ready for the race and we hope to show the best possible result here.
- For sure, there are a lot of favorites at this Giro d’Italia. I could name Tom Dumoulin and Primoz Roglič as top favorites for the race, but also Simon Yates, last year we already saw his possibilities. Besides them, I think Mikel Landa and Vincenzo Nibali are in the game, no doubts. Anyway, I think, there some other riders, who can do really well here at the Giro d’Italia.
- I did a recon of several stages of the final week of the Giro d’Italia, checked the main climbs, and also did a recon of the ITT in San Marino. I think that the third week will be decisive in this race, everything will be decided there. But, and individual time trial in San Marino will be extremely important too. Together with the team we worked a lot on TT, I hope that I will be able to perform as well as possible. Of course, there are favorites, as are Dumoulin and Roglič, they will try to gain time on those stages, but I hope to be able to minimize my losses. Time trial in San Marino is more suitable for them, but the second half of the distance is always goes up, so maybe it will suit me too. In any case, I will need to try lose, totally, not more than 2 minutes to them.
- The birth of my son gives me great motivation and additional strength before the start of the Giro d'Italia. Of course, it is very difficult to be away from home and family for so long. But, cycling is my job and, first of all, my passion, my life. Becoming a father is an incredible new experience, and despite the distance, I always feel the great support of my family in Colombia.
- In each race I get a new experience, which I try to use in order to become better, stronger. Last year twice I was on the podium of the Grand tours, it was an unforgettable experience, and I hope that it will help me to take another step forward. I have a very strong team around me, which is ready to support me 100%. Therefore, I hope that at this Giro we will be able to show something really good
Photo credit: © Getty Images